5 Reasons Working at SPUR is Better Than Working in Your Basement – by Amelia
My name is Amelia, and I’ve been working as an intern for the Northfield Enterprise Center and SPUR since early July. My first day as an intern, I came in to see the entire staff assembling IKEA bookcases for the new coworking space!
It’s been an amazing process to see SPUR grow from a heap of Swedish furniture instructions (and a dream) into a bona fide workspace for the Northfield community. Along the way, I’ve been doing some observing about what makes SPUR such a great place to work. I’ve got a whole list.
Let’s put aside the opportunities to meet and network with new people, talk through business challenges you may be facing, and use the fantastic library of entrepreneurial resources. Even without those, we’ve still got…
5 Reasons Working at SPUR is better than working in your basement.
- 1. High ceilings. You know that claustrophobic, “cupboard under the stairs” feeling you get in your dungeon office at home? That won’t be the case here: SPUR has tall, story-and-half ceilings. We like to think the extra headroom will help your imagination (and business) soar.
- 2. Natural light. If you have ever emerged from an eight-hour day in your basement, and your children wonder if you’ve turned into “one of those fish that don’t have eyes because they live in the dark all the time,” you need to get to SPUR. Our space sports huge windows that look over downtown in the front, plus a patio in the back so you can grab some vitamin D. Don’t worry though—you can ease the transition from home office/underground cave to outside with our patio umbrella.
- 3. Comfy seating. Your office chair at home is either a.) broken, b.) ugly, c.) uncomfortable, or d.) all of the above. SPUR is proud to present more than 30 seats for coworkers to sit at, all of them tested for comfortability, functionality, and charming good looks.
- 4. Lockable storage. You can get a locker. And you’re not in middle school. Although, if you really want to stick a picture of your favorite boy band on the inside, we won’t judge you.
- 5. Appliances. Does your basement have a full-sized fridge/freezer? What about a microwave? What about a coffee maker? Yeah? What about a Culligan water cooler? We didn’t think so.
If your basement is lacking one or more of the previous five items, please stop in as soon as possible. We’ll be able to help you find a solution to your home-office problems. That solution’s name is SPUR.