Are your goals SMART?
We all set goals, whether or not we’re aware of it—bucket lists, people to meet, places to see. Chances are good that you have goals for your business, but are they the right kind of goals? While everyone has a different definition of a “good” objective, SMART goals are proven to spur you into action–without killing your enthusiasm.
What is a SMART goal?
The strongest goals (of any kind) are SMART goals. In general, SMART stands for “Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound.” A SMART goal is more powerful than any other kind because it forces you to think about what you want, when you want it, and how you’ll achieve it. A goal without an action plan is like a roadtrip without a map; you may get where you’re going, but it will probably be a frustrating process. Setting a SMART goal is giving your business a roadmap for the future.
Click to tweet: I don’t focus on what I’m up against. I focus on my goals and I try to ignore the rest. – Venus Williams
How to transform your regular goals into SMART goals
If you’re ready to give your current goals a makeover, you’re in luck—the process is actually quite simple. Write your goal down, work through the following steps, and you’ll emerge with a SMART goal.
- What do you want? Some examples include “expand my marketing reach” or “boost my sales.”
- Why does your goal matter? Is it important to you? Does it follow your company’s mission? Think of a reasonable argument for this goal.
- How will you know you’ve achieved it? Maybe that’s 100 new Facebook fans; maybe it’s 3 customer testimonials.
- When do you want your goal accomplished by? Pick a date; for bonus points, add a time.
- Is your timeline feasible? Is your goal achievable? If it’s not, move the pieces around until it works.
- How will you get from here to there? Break your goal down into action steps or mini goals. Make sure they’re SMART too!
Did you like this article? You should subscribe to our email newsletter. Once a month, we’ll deliver our latest business news and advice straight to your inbox. It’s easy, too—just sign up here.